Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Trapping Students

This is a story of my university, a story which I'm sure stands true for many other 'Education Institutes' out there. Education Institutes which should actually be termed as 'Education for Business' - those institutes that would do anything to trap students like fishermen trap fish for a living.

I initially joined to do an MIT, only to find out later that it was not going to be offered due to the low number of students who enrolled in the program (Maybe if they used lappy's for bait they would've been more successful? :P) Anyways, I then transferred into the MBA program, and was told I could chose my major in the last semester, nothing new in that. So I continued taking courses like a fish swimming towards a juicy worm only to find out that the worm was made out of rubber with a sharp hook right at the center. In my last semester I was informed that my major, HRM was not being offered (due to too few students - *surprise surprise*) and that I had actually been given Marketing courses instead. Yay! I've been studying something that has nothing to do with my professional experience - I had been hooked like a fish - doing what was convenient and cost efficient for the university. NOT what was beneficial for me.

So the story continues, for myself and many other students out there - who have been trapped by the education system; trapped to 'make a living', rather lavishly for most of them.

Whatever happened to educating a person for the right reasons? Why and when did this become such a lucrative business? When the US started using its university as a trade resource? When rich parents were willing to pay anything to have their children go to a foreign university and poor parents were willing to sacrifice anything for the same privilege? When primary schools realized there's money in it for them and it no longer mattered how much you charge whether the child is in pre-nursery or secondary school?

So long as the money is raked in, nothing else matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home