Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Realizations of discrepancies

A few days ago me and my husband (and now that I'm married we'll be hearing that a lot won't we? :P) were out getting a watch fixed. An expensive watch that was given to him as a gift. In fact, there were two of them but we only had on of them on us. Now, this watch was complicated and it took the guy almost 30 minutes to fix it after which he didn't ask for any money. But that's not the point. During the 30 minutes, another fellow came along and gave a watch to have the strap replaced. He pulled a couple out and asked the price: Rs. 100 and Rs. 50 (roughly $1.60 and $0.83). The poor man was so confused...He wanted the more 'expensive' one but he ultimately settled for the 'cheaper' one.

It got me thinking...wow, I and most of us spend money like it was flowing water (speaking of which there isn't much of that left either). But Rs. 100? NOTHING! It means nothing to us, but it means a week of food to someone else.

A new phrase I recently heard from my CEO:

'Perceived Level of disparity'


The more expensive cars you see on the road the more this perceived level rises, and is it perceived or is it for real? I believe that all over the world a small portion of the population is getting richer and richer while most of the others are getting poorer and poorer. Where will this lead?

Protests?
Battles?
Wars?

All of the above probably. In fact, if you look for it you'll already be able to see it.

1 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm Mary and fellow nabuur neighbour and facilitator for Manyatta and Nyakach.
When you have a second I have a blog also I wowould like you to visit.
http://cook-italian-way.blogspot.com/
http://africashope.blogspot.com/

welcome.
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home